Thursday, April 10, 2008

rant rant rant

I saw this documentary the other day about the Dixie Chicks. I'd seen it before but still.I do not like their music but I think they are amazing women.
In 2003, when little ignorant Bush and his administration claimed that Iraq had Weapons of Mass Destruction and decided to attack Iraq, a few Americans decided to criticize it.So the Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed that Bush was from Texas.George Clooney, Susan Surandon, Tim Robbins and several others made similar moves.Consequence: boycott. CDs were thrown in the garbage, people were called un-American, put on the cover of magazines and called traitors, and so on.I find it horrible really.One of the darkest pages of American history.The US were founded on the idea of freedom, including freedom of speech, but this crazy administration destroyed civil liberties and completely brainwashed most of America. It took them years to realize.4 years ago I was in NY with my dad and his boss.His boss and I got into a little debate about the war and Bush.He was completely supportive of the administration.Today, he has changed his opinion.Thank God.
But I still feel uneasy about it.Americans changed their opinion because the war is hurting them.Hurting their soldiers, hurting the opinion the world has of them, their economy.But do we ever hear about the number of Iraqis killed; men, women and children. Not really.We know 4000 US soldiers have died. But what about innocent Iraqis?...hmmhmm.
Anyway...sorry for this little outburst.I just think the movie is very symbolic of what happened in the US during 4 years.It destroyed them
As much as I love New York and I also have good American friends I think America should think a little bit more and open their eyes to other people.
So in the words of Rufus Wainwright:

Tell me do you really think you go to hell for having loved?
Tell me and not for thinking every thing that you've done is good
After soaking the body of Jesus Christ in blood
I'm so tired of America

I may just never see you again or might as well
You took advantage of a world that loved you well
I'm going to a town that has already been burned down
I'm so tired of you America

2 comments:

Lana said...

I've missed your rants, this one was gooood.
That's why I think a lot of people like Nyc so much, it's very European in its opinions. Aren't like 80% of Manhattanites Democrat (or something like that)?

Marie said...

Probably...It's very liberal.al the artists and stuff